The days are getting longer. The sun is getting stronger. I’m hearing the birds singing again, and the yard is muddy now instead of frozen. Easter weather--at least in the northern hemisphere. In South Africa, the days are getting shorter. The sun is getting weaker. I don’t know what the birds are doing there, but I imagine they are seeking shelter from the cold. All this to say that nice weather is a blessing we northerners enjoy at Easter -- sometimes -- but not all Christians do.
Easter is not about the weather. Easter is about living a changed life. How can we live as Easter people in all of life’s weather?
1. We can live a life of mercy. Jesus was all about mercy, and about extending God’s forgiveness to everyone who knew they needed mercy. Do we offer mercy to the people in our life?
2. We can live a life of humility. Jesus washed the feet of his disciples. He said that to be first of all, we needed to be servant of all. Do we live a life of service to others, even those we might lead?
3. We can lead a life of prayer. Energy is needed for Christian living. That energy comes from consciously dwelling in God’s presence. Are we people who spend dedicated time with God?
4. We can lead a life of healing. Jesus was also all about healing. He never refused anyone who sought healing from him. Are we seeking to be a healing presence to those around us?
5. We can lead a life of love. Love of God. Love towards others.
Jesus died for sin and rose again to new life. We are a forgiven people. We are also a people empowered to live as Jesus did. That’s what Easter is all about.
Thank you for being the people of God, and allowing me to be your pastor.